The Counselor-in-Training Program at Camp Friendship is designed to offer qualified young people an opportunity to prepare for positions as camp counselors or recreation leaders. Emphasis is placed upon developing leadership skills, sensitivity to children, and program skills.
Participation in the CIT program is by selection. Those interested in the program must complete an application process, which includes an application, references, and an interview.
*Riding CIT applicants: dates may change, speak with Riding Director regarding specific program dates.
Current Season CIT Fees & Dates please see our Fees & Dates Page.
(It is understood that a CIT may have to arrive late/depart early due to school end/start dates. We will try to accommodate participants as much as possible. Fees will not be pro-rated for missed weeks. All late or early arrivals or departures must be approved by the Camp Director.)
To be a Counselor-in-Training:
- Applicants must be at least 15 years old (17 years old for International CIT applicants) at the time of participation.
- Applicants must possess a genuine interest in the camping/youth development field, and in working with younger campers, and be willing to commit the required energy, enthusiasm, and cooperation in all aspects of the training and hands-on portions of the program.
- A positive and cooperative attitude and pleasant disposition are critical personal attributes for the position.
- Apply online by using the online camper application. Once you have submitted your application we will email you with the next step in the application process.
- Complete the CIT application and submit them to camp. Your parents will also have to sign the application. This will be a more in-depth questionnaire for the applicant to complete online.
- The three reference forms should be given to unrelated adults, such as teachers, group leaders, or other adults who know you well enough to evaluate your potential for working with children.
- After your references are received, you will be contacted by the camp to arrange a time for your interview.
International CIT applicants must be at least 17 years old at the time of participation. If you are 15-16 years old you may attend camp as a “regular“ camper in the Senior Village, Sports Clinics, or Riding camp programs. International CITs must be proficient in speaking and understanding English prior to attending camp.