Even the best mother and daughter relationships can be complicated or difficult at times. There is always room for improvement, and like most things in life, it takes effort to get the best results. Here’s a few suggestions on how to enhance your connection and help you to have the best mother and daughter relationship.
1. Communicate Better-even though they might think they know everything, daughters aren’t the mind readers we wish they were. We need to try and explain ourselves better so there is less assuming or misunderstandings. Try and avoid sarcasm, facetiousness and teasing that could be misinterpreted or hurtful.
2. Listen-during a conversation, reflect back what your daughter is saying. This helps confirm she’s being heard and that you understand. Listen for the feelings or real message she is trying to convey.
3. Deal with conflict, but pick your battles-not resolving conflict can cause resentment and stunt the growth of your relationship. If you avoid resolving conflict, it can become a repeated pattern in your daughters future relationships.
4. Practice Empathy and offer a compromise when necessary-your daughter needs to feel like you recognize her as an individual.
5. Balance Independence and Closeness-sometimes daughters think they need to break away to be their own person, or it may be hard for them to let go of the apron strings. Let her find her own voice and identity in the relationship. You can take a position on important issues, while other times agree to disagree.
7. Forgive-this doesn’t mean you don’t address bad behavior. Forgiving is something that helps you experience more peace and continue in a more healthy relationship.
8. Boundaries-key for any healthy relationship. Connecting with your daughter is made easier by setting clear boundaries. Asserting yourself with your daughter can be a great example for her to follow, and have a positive effect on her future relationships.
9. Share more quality time with your daughter-not much will happen if you’re not available.
Mother Daughter relationships are a unique and special bond. Putting effort into the relationship will keep it growing and help you raise a daughter with confidence, to be better equipped in life. Make the best of your mother and daughter relationship! Time passes quickly and before you know it they’re all grown up. Every minute counts!
For a great way to bond with your daughter, enjoy a
MOTHER/DAUGHTER Horseback Riding at Camp Friendship-
scheduled for Fri, October 10 – Sun, October 12
Spend quality time together!
Call Camp Friendship in Palmyra, VA to find out more